Friday, February 16, 2007

The past 48

Well, Mom always said when it rains it pours. Just when things were supposed to calm down following two and a half weeks of constant company and travel, our world gets crazy again. In the last two days, we have had two majorly expensive, completely irritating, and totally depressing things happen…

First our fridge completely died requiring a total replacement and loss of most of the contents. I was not completely taken out by this because the silver lining was that in the midst of finding a replacement I got to spend Valentines lunch with Yooper and had an hour or so of shopping by myself at Ala Moana, something I had been craving since our arrival here. Found a great deal but still over $1K poorer than when I woke up in the morning once you throw in the chest freezer that saved a few bags worth of groceries.

Then there was yesterday. Tanner and I came home to a river of water flowing down the driveway. I ran into the house to have my worst fears come true. Kona had chewed through the water supply line on the toilet in the bathroom where we lock him up during the day. Almost the entire back half of the house was under water, over an inch deep in some areas. I immediately hit the shutoff but the damage had been done. By the time we stopped the shopvac last night, we pulled out well over 100 gallons of water and the place is still pretty soupy in areas. There’s no telling how long the water was flowing but it had to be hours.

Our bedroom and the extra bedroom took the worst of it. Somehow Tanner’s room was completely unscathed. Yooper was pretty quick to cut some blocks to get our bedroom furniture up off the floor but we’re pretty sure the carpet in both rooms is a loss. We managed to empty most of each room into the dining room and set up our mattress in the living room. We’re actually pretty lucky that the house is built directly on slab and the single wall construction means there was no drywall to damage. Had this happened in Minneapolis, we’d probably had one heck of an insurance claim to file today.

I imagine tonight and the rest of the weekend is going to be damage control. I really hope this isn’t as expensive as I fear it could be. And No, I didn't take any pictures.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a horror to come home to. Guess your next expenditure will be a kennel for Kona or a new fence in the backyard (make it an invisible fence)so that he need not be so confined while you all are gone for the day. Kona can be a massive problem but then again he is one massive dog. But you love him just the same.

Sorry to hear about this all. The refrigerator dying was bad enough but couple this with your flood? I would be dead ready for a nervous breakdown.