Friday, December 08, 2006

Homeowners, kind of...

Yesterday was finally the long awaited closing, only we still don't have the keys yet. It all has to do with Hawaiian property sales procedures. Yesterday was the closing, today was when the down payment was due, and if all goes well, Tuesday will be when the transaction is officially recorded at which time we will be on the tail end of about 15 calls that take place (slight exaggeration but really, we will be the dead last of a long list of people to know) then finally, we can take the keys.

We've arranged for the movers to move everything from storage to the house on Friday morning. I just know it's going to kill me knowing that we have this awesome house just sitting there for three days before anything can go into it. I still haven't decided for sure yet but chances are there is no way I'm going to be able to think of going back to work after that. Knowing me, I will be tearing into boxes almost immediately and Yooper will have to drag me from the place kicking and screaming that night.

I'm just dying to be back in OUR house with OUR stuff. At first with all the excitement of the move, it was easy to overlook the fact that we were living out of suitcases. It felt like vacation. We were on the road, off to new places, no work. Now we're getting settled into a routine and I just want to go home. I want my bed, my kitchen toys, my couch... I just want my stuff back. Poor Tanner has probably forgotten what most of his stuff is at this point. It will be like Christmas morning came early when we finally unpack his boxes. We even had to go buy new books because we were so sick of the same ones night after night.

The place we've been staying at has been very adequate for the amount of time we've been staying there but the complaints and annoyances are mounting. The proximity of the house to the lush jungle hillside and the overgrown landscaping means the place has lot of bugs. The vegetation here in certain areas is nearly impossible to keep up with. The place is also severely lacking in kitchen supplies. Apparently a three cup pot is all anyone would ever want and who needs lids for anything? I bought a pasta pot within days of being here and now it also doubles as a mixing bowl. Errr...

One more week, just one more week...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Apparently there is a price to pay for paradise. But soon (not soon enough for you) you will be whole again and have all your worldy possessions with you.

By Christmas morning you will have your new home and your Kona. Only thing to complete this picture will be Nugget but six weeks after that and you will all finally be together. Hurrah!