Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Creatures Creatures Everywhere...

Okay, so it should go without saying that Hawaii is full of all sorts of fun creatures but this place is blowing away all expectations. Let's start with Tricky. Tricky is a wild rooster that spend the afternoon in our yard a couple of days ago. He'd been clucking around the side and back of the house for about an hour when Tanner decided to name him Tricky. I'll be sure to get a picture if he makes it back.

Next we can discuss Lucy. Lucy was a new addition to the brood as of last night. Yooper was working on the computer at the bar when I heard a very panicked and slightly terrified "Oh my god!" I looked over to see the largest spider EVER on the wall in the kitchen. Being the bug slayer wife that I am, I tried to get him\her but it quickly scampered up and over the rail to the storage loft above the bathroom off of the kitchen. Long story short, after another failed capture attempt, even I was shaking a bit and Lucy (aka Lucifer) was long gone. The pic below should give you a good indication of what we're dealing with on this one...


For those of you familiar with the plasticized spider in the cube Tanner has from my dad, this thing eats it for breakfast. The size description on the website I grabbed this pic from said it best, roughly the size of a tuna can. Yep. That's the one. GIGANTIC! We've decided to make peace with Lucy as she eats roaches and other large yucky bugs and chances are we won't see her again soon. Also, our bed is on the exact opposite side of the house so that helps too :) No lost sleep yet but I must admit, I do glance to that corner of the kitchen often.

And now back to the fun creatures, I saw some great things on my stop by Coconut Island today. There were tons of fish and sea cucumbers to see from the walkways and docks as well as a super fast little crab that crossed my path close to my new office. I imagine thats just the tip of the iceberg at that place though so stay tuned on that.

Anyway, still getting used to the new creatures here as with the rest of the place. I'll feel better when it's my creatures in my own house but one thing at a time...

1 comment:

Jim Murphy said...

That is easily the worst thing ever. good for you that you looked it up on the net. i would have gone directly to nwa.com and been on my way home.